10 June 2008

Talkin' About Talk Radio


Oh, progressive talk radio. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways- and by ways, I mean things that your spunky talk radio hosts have the balls to say. Here are some stories brought to my attention this afternoon by 820 am, Chicago's Progressive Talk:

1. There are more contractors than troops in Iraq. Read that again. Let it sink in. In Iraq, there are fewer soldiers than contractors. Why are we there, again?

2. President Bush is threatening to stop paying troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, if congress does not give him more money to fight his war. Now I'm trying to find the article referenced in this piece (it somewhere in these pages) as soon as I do I'll post a link. But the takeaway message here is this: most Democrats strongly support our troops, even if they do not support the war. It seems that Dubya does the opposite. Big ol' hypocrite (but we already knew that).

3. The United States has no leadership when it comes to the energy crisis; no one knows what to do about high gas prices. Here's my two cents: we should not waste any more energy on lowering gas prices, but invest all of our resources in finding sustainable, viable alternatives. I do not believe that we are ever going to find a magical alternative to fossil fuel. However, we do already have many cleaner sources of power, and each one can help lessen our dependence on oil. If we combine solar power, hydro power, wind power, and all the rest, we can kick the fuel habit while cleaning the planet. Oh, and make sure the first family isn't profiting from big oil. But we won't have to worry about that when President Obama takes over the white house.

On that note, have a happy week, progressives!

No comments: